Head of Marketing
Sunderland AFC has a very proud history and boasts a fan-base of loyal and dedicated supporters who follow the club across the country, with home games played at the iconic Stadium of Light.
After the success in the 2021-22 season, the Club has ambitious plans for growth on and off the pitch and continue to build on these achievements. The Club continues to look at innovative ways to enhance the relationship of the club with the community, supporters and local businesses and is now looking to appoint a Head of Marketing to lead the team in the new Championship-era and beyond.
The successful applicant will design, implement and manage the full life cycle of marketing strategies including all digital initiatives.
The club is an integral part of the community with close links with the Foundation of Light, Sunderland City Council and University of Sunderland. The club will succeed best through close collaboration between all local stakeholders.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the role will lead all of the activities of the club to position the club to generate profitable revenue.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THE ROLE INCLUDE:
- Establish objectives and metrics for the Marketing in collaboration with the executive team
- Developing and implementing Marketing strategies and campaigns for the club to maximise sales opportunities across all departments (including Sponsorship, Retail, Hospitality, Events, Ticketing).
- Specific attention on maximising the opportunities from the existing extensive social media presence to ensure the club presence is global as well as national.
- Establishing and maintaining a relationship map for the club and maximising relationships and revenue streams with current commercial partners as well as securing new relationships
- Ensuring that relationships with all commercial partners of SAFC are successfully maintained through regular networking and all are consistent with the values and identity of the club
- Working with the Head of Commercial establish partnership and sponsorship inventory pack.
- Developing and managing a holistic membership / loyalty scheme with the aim of driving up revenues across all areas
- Provide the Executive team with in-depth marketing analysis based on CRM data and external social media analytic tools to ensure the best-informed sales and marketing decisions are made
- Preparing monthly written reports on marketing activities and projections based on agreed performance indicators
- Developing and maintaining an effective Website and App
- Working alongside the Head of Commercial to ensure the marketing focus aligns with all non-digital revenue streams
- Working alongside the Head of Media to ensure alignment of core messages with sales and marketing campaigns. This will include deriving value from digital / social media.
- Working alongside the Foundation and other partners in the region to build trust in the club. Lead on the development of a ‘Trust Index’ to measure progress
The successful candidate will hold a marketing degree or have relevant qualifications, training or experience in a similar marketing role and have a track record of implementing successful and creative marketing solutions. Major sports or football experience and evidence of delivering results in line with budget would be advantageous. Knowledge of CRM solutions such as Sports Alliance are highly desirable.
Required skills and experience include the ability to think strategically, plan tactfully and solve challenges creatively. The sensitivity to lead a team generously and interact effectively with various personalities at differing levels. Excellent literacy, numeracy, IT and verbal communication skills as well as a willingness to explore new or alternative ideas are preferable.
If you feel you have the relevant skills and wish to be considered for this position please e-mail your current CV and covering letter stating current salary and salary expectations to email@example.com detailing all relevant experience and qualifications. Alternatively, your application may be posted to Recruitment, HR Department, Sunderland AFC, Stadium of Light, Sunderland, SR5 1SU. The closing date for all applications is Friday 7 October 2022.
If your application is successful, you will be contacted for an interview which will take place at the Stadium of Light on a date to be confirmed. Please note the position for which you are recruited may be subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring (DBS) Check. All applicants must be able to verify that they are eligible for work in the UK.
Sunderland AFC is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a policy of treating all employees and job applicants equally. Our aim is that all colleagues should be able to work in an environment free from discrimination, harassment and bullying.