Host Family Recruitment
Sunderland AFC are looking to recruit Host Families who can provide a home away from home to our young players, age 15 to 21.
As a Host Family, you would care for players from outside of the area by providing a homely, safe and comfortable environment, throughout the season. The role is about more than providing a room, a Host Family will have an impact on the players lives, their life skills and development and by working with the Club, support the player on their journey into professional football.
Players would reside with Host Families for approximately 44 weeks of the year, up to seven days a week and Host Families would be expected to provide high quality meals in line with the Club’s nutritional guidelines or to any cultural requirements, around the players flexible schedule.
Players would require their own bedroom and homes with access to transport links to the Academy of Light is desirable.
Requirements and Responsibilities
- Include the Player, as much as reasonably possible in social activities including (but not limited to) sharing mealtimes, watching television etc
- Support the player by teaching them basic independent life skills such as cooking, laundry, cleaning, budgeting etc.
- Be supportive of the players flexible schedule and understanding of any changes.
- Have excellent communication and listening skills to enable a trusting professional relationship to develop with the player and his family.
- Follow the Care Plan set for each individual player in conjunction with the Club, the player and his parents/guardian.
- Have an understanding of the emotional impact and challenges of a young football player.
- Put the needs of the player first, always having a child focused approach.
- Liaise with Club staff regularly and report any concerns to the Academy Safeguarding Team as they occur.
- Adhere to the Club’s codes of conduct for Host Families.
- Maintain the home to a fit standard and allow Club staff access periodically to complete inspections and welfare checks.
- Undertake all mandatory training required for the role of Host Family to include, but not limited to, Safeguarding, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, First Aid, Nutrition and annual Inductions.
The Club will provide guidance and support to Host Families to ensure they can meet the requirements of the role.
As part of the recruitment process, the Club will conduct several home visits to determine suitability and to ensure the home meets the minimum requirements. All applicants, and any occupants of the home over the age of 18 years old, will be subject to an enhanced DBS check and satisfactory references.
This is a very rewarding role and in return, Host Families will be paid a competitive fee. If you think that you could offer a young player a home, please express your interest by emailing email@example.com and we will reply with an expression of interest form to complete.
Sunderland AFC is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a policy of treating all employees and job applicants equally. Our aim is that all colleagues should be able to work in an environment free from discrimination, harassment and bullying.
SAFEGUARDING CHILDREN & VULNERABLE ADULTS
Sunderland AFC recognises that the safeguarding and protection of children and vulnerable adults is of paramount importance within the organisation. Sunderland AFC owes a duty of care to safeguard all children and vulnerable adults involved in activities as organised by the football club. Sunderland AFC will ensure that safety and protection is given to all children and vulnerable adults involved in activities through adherence to the Safeguarding guidelines adopted by the Club.