Match report: Lads ease into last eight

Sunderland 4-0 Newcastle United U21s

Sunderland brushed aside Newcastle United Under-21s on Tuesday evening and marched into the last eight of the Checkatrade Trophy.

A commanding opening period went unrewarded as the sides entered the break on level terms, but the floodgates opened following the restart.

Chris Maguire provided two assists in quick succession, with an own goal breaking the deadlock before Charlie Wyke headed home six minutes later.

The forward got in on the act himself with 12 minutes remaining, sending a rocket into the corner, but the damage wasn’t over just yet.

And with moments remaining, Benji Kimpioka soared through the air and headed home to wrap up an enjoyable evening on Wearside.

Jack Ross made six changes for the game, with Tom Flanagan, Luke O’Nien, Reece James, Dylan McGeouch and Wyke retaining their places following the draw at Charlton Athletic.

Duncan Watmore was recalled, and captained the side, while Robbin Ruiter, Alim Ozturk, Bali Mumba, Maguire and Jerome Sinclair were also included.

Sunderland dominated the ball in the opening ten minutes, but they failed to carve out any real openings.

That changed soon after, though, when Maguire’s teasing cross bounced once before being headed towards goal by Wyke, but Nathan Harker made a decent stop from point-blank range.

With 16 minutes played, the Magpies failed to clear and the ball dropped invitingly to Ozturk, however, the defender’s attempt flew just wide.

The tide somewhat turned after the 20-minute mark, as the visitors crafted a couple of quickfire chances, but it remained 0-0 heading into the final stages of the opening period.

Mumba had the ball in the net before the break, but his effort was ruled out with the linesman flagging after the ball exited the field of play during the build-up.

Sunderland didn’t have to wait too much longer, though, and within one minute of the restart, they led.

Maguire’s wicked corner bounced in the box and was turned into his own net by Kelland Watts, and just like London buses, another goal was quick to follow.  

Moments after Watts was denied at the other end by Ruiter, Maguire’s next corner was headed into the corner by Wyke to hand the Lads’ a commanding lead.

A half-time replacement for Watmore, Benji Kimpioka almost connected at the back post as Sunderland pushed for a third.

And they got one with 12 minutes remaining, Maguire firing a 25-yard piledriver into the corner before cupping his ears to the visiting fans.

Kimpioka wrapped the scoring up with a brave finish late on, with a quarter-final tie coming soon.

Attendance: 16,654 (2,780 away)

Sunderland: Ruiter, Ozturk, Flanagan, O’Nien, James, McGeouch (Hackett 83), Mumba, Maguire, Watmore (Kimpioka 45), Sinclair, Wyke (Molyneux 76).
Substitutes: Stryjek, Diamond, Taylor, Hunter.

Newcastle United U21s: Harker, Walters, Gibson, Longstaff, Bailey, Watts, Allan (Longelo 68), Sangare, Sorensen (Toure 56), Roberts, Wilson (Juanito 74).
Subs not used: McEntee, Langley, Cumbreras.

Back to top