Report: Wycombe Wanderers 3-3 Sunderland AFC

Wycombe Wanderers 3-3 Sunderland AFC


Stoppage time drama at both ends saw Sunderland held by Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday, as the Lads extended their unbeaten league run to ten games. 


An action-packed start in Buckinghamshire saw Lee Johnson’s side race in front via a David Stockdale own goal, but the home side struck back on 13 minutes through Anis Mehmeti. 


Wycombe led when Sam Vokes netted after the half-hour mark, but the Lads fired back and Ross Stewart’s 16th goal of the campaign ensured parity at the break. 


The Black Cats made an electric start to the second period and Alex Pritchard led the charge, as Corry Evans was denied and Joe Jacobson somehow cleared Stewart’s header off the line. 


Elliot Embleton struck the underside of the crossbar from 25 yards and Stewart looked to have won it in added time, but Joe Jacobson struck in the 98th minute to snatch a point for the home side. 

Anthony Patterson lined up against Wanderers at Adams Park, with Jack Diamond and Josh Hawkes named on the bench after the trio were recalled on Friday. 


Carl Winchester returned to the starting XI, but Lee Burge, Thorben Hoffmann, Frederik Alves, Cieran Dunne, Leon Dajaku and Benji Kimpioka were ruled out after returning suspected positive tests for COVID-19


Aiden O’Brien was absent due to his ongoing recovery from the illness and Bailey Wright missed the trip due to injury, but the Lads enjoyed a dream start in Buckinghamshire.


Stewart’s header cannoned off the underside of the crossbar and bounced into the net via Stockdale, as the Lads weathered an early storm and edged in front. 


Wycombe continued to press forward and they earned a swift response, with Mehmeti’s arrowed strike hauling the home side level.


Booked early on for bringing down Pritchard, former Black Cat Josh Scowen evaded a second yellow when he blocked a pass with his arm and the referee opted for a stern word.


Gareth Ainsworth’s side edged in front with 36 minutes on the clock, as a corner looped into the air and Patterson was crowded out to allow Vokes to head home 


Once again, the lead didn’t last long. 


Johnson’s men were level before the interval and there was no doubt about this was one, with a fine header from Stewart rounding off a pulsating opening 45 minutes. 


The Black Cats bossed proceedings following the restart and they were desperately unlucky not to score a third, as Evans, Stewart and Lynden Gooch threatened. 


A sumptuous Embleton strike rattled the woodwork with 66 minutes played, but distressing scenes followed as Evans collided with Patterson and was stretchered off after a lengthy period of treatment.


Recalled from Harrogate Town on Friday, Diamond entered the fray in place of the Sunderland captain and the Lads quickly rallied. 


Winchester stung the palms of Stockdale and a golden opportunity fell to Stewart on 88 minutes, but he scooped the ball over the top after connecting with Gooch’s excellent cross.


The Scot didn’t make the same mistake twice – rounding off a brilliant counter attack and linking with Gooch once more time slide the ball home. 


But in the eigth additional minute, Jacobson fired home to level proceedings as the points were shared.

Wycombe Wanderers: Stockdale, Grimmer, Jacobsen, Stewart, Vokes, McCleary, Hanlan, Mehmeti, Obita, Scowen, Forinio.

Subs not used: Przybek, Tafazolli, Thompson, Morgan, Akinfenwa, De Barr, Pendlebury.


Sunderland AFC: Patterson, Flanagan, Evans, Doyle, Embleton, Gooch, Stewart, Winchester, Cirkin, Pritchard, Neil.

Subs not used: Taylor, Xhemajli, Diamond, Younger, Hawkes, Hume. 


Back to top