Match Report: Huddersfield Town 0-2 Sunderland

Alex Pritchard came back to haunt his old side whilst Amad scored a second in three games to hand Sunderland victory over Huddersfield Town.


On a blustery night asnd wet evening in West Yorkshire, the Lads claimed an important win to make it four points from a possible six on the road ahead of a home meeting against Cardiff City. 


The visitors survived an early scare when Jack Rudoni spun on the edge of the box and lashed a shot agonisingly over the bar. The Lads rode out a spell of pressure from the hosts with some determined defending from Luke O’Nien and Bailey Wright, who was making his 100th appearance for the club. 


O’Nien came close to going from defender to provider when his looping cross bounced it’s way to Dennis Cirkin at the back post but his half volley flashed just past the post. Leon Dajaku threatened with another low drive across the face of goal after a well worked move. 


As the game touched the half hour mark, the elements came into play in West Yorkshire. It almost resembled a tropical tundra with strong gusts sweeping across the stands and heavy rainfall hammering onto the pitch. 


Conditions were making it difficult for both teams. While the Lads continued to brave the horrendous conditions, an advertising banner fell victim as play was halted after it blew onto the pitch. 


The first half ended on an unfortunate injury to Ben Jackson who was stretchered off after a collision with one of his own players. The interval offered the Lads a chance to regroup ahead of an important second half.


Both sides made substitutions at half-time with Ellis Simms being thrown into the action for the visitors and Brahima Diarra on for the hosts. It was Diarra who almost made an instant impact after he stretched to make contact with Duame Holmes cross from the left but could only divert his effort wide of the mark. 


Just like the first half, Sunderland survived another scare in the opening stages. Huddersfield broke through the heart of the pitch and Holmes was slipped in behind the defence. After his initial shot was blocked by Anthony Patterson, Jordan Rhodes couldn’t make the follow up count as he dug out an effort that whizzed wide. 


Sunderland went up the other end and put the Terriers down through the help of a familiar face. Patrick Roberts and Amad combined with a one-two in the box before the former teed up Pritchard from the penalty spot who steered the ball into the far corner. 


Mowbray’s side pressed for a second in the game as Amad found space inside the penalty area but his shot bending around the outside of the post. 


Mark Fotheringham’s showed they were not out of the contest as Diarra threatened with another bending effort from the edge of the box that was off target. 


The Terriers efforts to find an equaliser fell in vain and as they threw men forward, Sunderland put them game to bed with a second goal. With numbers in attack, Amad and Simms combined with a one-two and the Manchester United loanee did the rest sliding the ball between the legs of Lee Nicholls to clinch the win.


Sunderland XI: Patterson; O’Nien, Batth, Wright, Cirkin; Evans (Neil 61’), Embleton (Ba 61’), Amad, Pritchard (Bennette 90’), Roberts (Matete 78’); Dajaku (Simms 45’)


Subs not used: Bass, Hume, Matete, Bennette,


Huddersfield XI: Nicholls; Ruffels, Spencer, Helik, Nakayama; Camara, Kasumu (Mahoney 70’); Holmes, Rudoni, Jackson (Diarra 45’); Rhodes (Ward 61’)


Subs not used: Bilokapic, Diarra, Ward, Boyle, Mahoney, Russell, Mbete

Back to top