Match Report: Shrewsbury Town 1-2 Sunderland

Sunderland carried out stoppage time heroics scoring twice beyond the 90 minute mark to produce a comeback victory over League One Shrewsbury Town in the Emirates FA Cup.


It was a valiant and dominant performance which included history with 15-year-old Chris Rigg baring Sunderland colours but Ross Stewart and Luke O’Nien were the heroes who grabbed the goals late on to book the Lads place in the fourth round.


A fast start from the hosts saw them comes within inches of taking the lead when Luke Leaghy pinched possession in Sunderland’s half before seeing his speculative chip hit the top of the crossbar. Leahy tested Sunderland’s resolve again when he headed a well worked corner over the bar.


Patrick Roberts made a darting run into the box and went down under a challenge but referee Matthew Donohue decided against awarding a penalty and booked the winger for simulation.


After some neat footwork from Jewison Bennette, his cross was headed away into the path of Trai Hume whose 20 yard effort fizzed just wide of Marko Morosi’s post.


Sunderland monopolised possession for the remainder of the first half but they continued to be met with frustration as Edouard Michut’s penalty appeal was denied after he was felled in the penalty area.


On the stroke of half time, Roberts jinked his way to the edge of the box but just dragged his right footed effort wide of the post.


Into the second half, Stewart and Jack Clarke’s introduction allowed the Lads to ramp up the pressure on the hosts. Stewart was denied at point blank range when a neat through ball found it’s way to the man in form in the box as Morosi rushed out to block his effort.


Amad came within inches of breaking the deadlock as he manoeuvred space on the edge of the box but could only bend his shot wide of the post.


History was made when Chris Rigg was thrown into action to become the Club’s youngest outfield player in their history at 15 years and 203 days old.


Against the run of play, Shrewsbury Town took the lead when Matthew Pennington latched onto a corner ball and headed down into the bottom corner.


Shrewsbury continued to be penned in their own defensive third with Roberts curling a low shog which forced Morosi into a low save.


But Sunderland acted out the late late show in Shropshire as Stewart climbed highest to nod home from Clarke’s corner in the first minute of stoppage time.


Then in the dying embers, O’Nien slammed his first time effort from the edge of the box into the bottom left hand corner to book the Lads place in the fourth round draw.

Back to top