Report: Sunderland 3-1 Plymouth Argyle

An outstanding second half display saw the Sunderland come from behind to beat Plymouth Argyle 3-1 at the Stadium of Light.

Goals from Pierre Ekwah, Jack Clarke and Jobe put the sword to Argyle in the second half as the Lads sealed back-to-back wins on Wearside.

Ryan Hardie tested the palms of Anthony Patterson in the opening stages with a firm shot from a tight angle forcing the Sunderland number one into a smart save.

After his initial free-kick was blocked, Jack Clarke wrapped a long bending effort that was destined for the bottom right corner only for keeper Conor Hazard to palm the ball away from danger.

Michael Beale’s side banged on the door again when an intricate one-two between Patrick Roberts and Abdoullah Ba freed up the number ten only to his cutback to Nazariy Rusyn blocked at the vital second.

Plymouth took the lead against the run of play when a long clearance found Hardie on the break who showed composure with a dinked finish into the net.

The half ended with Ekwah’s set piece which took a deflection and whistled just over the bar.

Minutes into the second half, Ekwah made no mistake from his following free-kick driving through the wall from the edge of the box and into the bottom corner.

The goal to put Sunderland in front came through an inevitable source with Clarke cutting in from the left and rasping his shot off the inside of the post and into the back of the net.

Jobe was thrown into the action just after the hourmark and made his introduction felt. He carried his run with the ball into the opposition box and bent a delicious effort into the far corner to make it three and complete an outstanding turnaround.

Next up for the Lads is a midweek trip to Huddersfield Town where the will be back by a sell-out away end in West Yorkshire.

SAFC XI: Patterson; Hume, Ballard, O’Nien ©, Hjelde; Neil, Ekwah (Rigg); Roberts (Mundle), Ba (Jobe), Clarke; Rusyn (Aouchiche)

Subs: Bishop, Pembele, Luis Hemir, Burstow, Seelt

Back to top